Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My First Fondant Cake



I took a cake-making class last week and it was tons of fun! I think I annoyed the teacher because I was so slow that I ended up taking an extra hour after class was over (plus I was his only student that day). Hey, you can't rush a perfectionist.

One thing I learned is that you have to work quickly or else the fondant will start cracking. It's also an advantage to have naturally warm hands, as mine were so cold that I couldn't get the fondant to soften no matter how hard I rolled and rubbed!

6 comments:

Lynne Daley said...

Your cake looks great! The fondant looks smooth and fits nicely and the snow-people are really cute.

Chris said...

Oh my gosh! Only your first? Looks like you've been making them for years. I love the snow people.

Thanks for visiting me today!

tigerfish said...

OMG, OMG! This cake is so lovely!
I won't bear to eat it.

One Food Guy said...

Beautiful cake! Well done! If this was your first I can't wait to see your next few.

Great pictures throughout your site by the way. Cheers!

Avory said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I put the photos up, and though there isn't really a "recipe" per se, it's only because the amounts are really just throw it in the pan guesses. For the second version for example, I used half a tomato, half a zucchini, half a yellow onion (all finely chopped and sauteed until the onion was soft), two beaten eggs and a healthy splash of milk, and then about half a five ounce pack of fresh goat cheese and maybe a tablespoon chopped fresh mint. Most of the recipes are for half a dozen eggs and use whole veggies, so if you wanted to make it for two or three people, you could easily Google and follow one to make it easy :-)

Also - adorable cake!

Unknown said...

Awesome blossom! I used to decorate cakes and it was THERAPUTIC for me. =) You asked me where I got the certificate...eBay! I was just browsing and I copped one from there. =) Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy holidays!