Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Leftover Cherry Sauce


Before I left for Boston, I jokingly warned my husband to keep the kitchen clean while I was away "or else." There are some things that peeve me, and coming home to a kitchen littered with day old knives, sticky pots and bowls stuck with hardened rice grains is one of them.

To my happy surprise, the kitchen really was clean when I came back. "You're wonderful!" I exclaimed, as my husband smiled proudly.

The next day I opened the refrigerator to help myself to some breakfast, and my heart sank.

My normally neat and arranged fridge had been transformed to complete chaos. Containers and jars were in complete disarray, a bowl with half-eaten strawberries (strawberries with a bite out of them, eek!) was awkwardly askew atop a carton of eggs, and fresh fruits and vegetables that I had purchased for him before I left had remained untouched. Most disappointing was the bag of cherries about to spoil. Cherries still cost a good amount even when they're in season, and I hated for it to go to waste.

What to do?

I had planned on making pancakes that morning, so as I whipped up a batch I realized I could make cherry sauce. Perfect. Any time you have fresh fruits and vegetables about to go bad, cook it. This will extend its life by a few more days.




Cherry Sauce


1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt

1/2 cup orange juice
2 cups sweet cherries, without the stem

1) Pit and halve the cherries.
2) Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Do not be zealous with the cinnamon. A tiny pinch is all you need.
3) Add the orange juice and cherries. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a medium-low.
4) Simmer until thickened.

Serve with whipped cream on top of pancakes or waffles. The sauce tastes even better the next day. Needless to say, my husband ate it all up.



1 comment:

natalie said...

yum! this looks delicious!